|The Notebook Buyer's HomePage|
The WinBook XL2 FAQFrequently Asked Questions and some more information about the new WinBook XL2. (Last updated November 2, 1998)
Last week WinBook announced a brand new notebook to their XL line, the XL-2. It is still an "all-in-one" (3 drives and battery all internal) and 2 of the 3 drives have been upgraded to a DVD II drive and an LS-120 floppy drive. There is also a bigger screen, 14.1" and a new AGP video chipset, the ATi Rage 3-D Rage Pro. But the biggest kicker is that is only 1.5" thick and weighs about 7 pounds! So I've asked my contacts at WinBook some questions about this new machine that I thought would be of interest to everyone.
1) Approximate shipping times?
2) NT capable?
3) Modem, software or hardware based and what chipset?
4) Are any of the bays modular?
5) Is MPEG-2 built into the video-chip or do you need a decoder
6) Is the DVD reprogrammable for regions?
7) Can the DVD read all CD media (CD-R, CD-RW)?
8) What brand is the touchpad?
9) Can the stick or pad be deactivated?
10) Are the PC-Card bays stacked?
I've also been told that the new XL2 is PC98 compliant, which means it is eligible for the "Designed for Windows98" logo. It also supports DMI 2.0 and WfM 2.0. For more information, you can read the WinBook XL2 press release at their website. I am hoping to get an eval model soon so I will post a First Glance review as soon as I receive it.
You may have some better questions that I didn't think of so please e-mail them to me.